One of the best websites out there about the Angkor civilisation is also dedicated to understanding the role of the feminine in its history.
Angkor Wat Apsara & Devata: Khmer Women in Divine Context seeks to research into the following questions:
- Why do images of women dominate the largest religious monument on Earth?
- Who are the women of Angkor Wat?
- Why are images of women immortalized in the largest temples the Khmer civilization ever built?
- What did these women mean to the Khmer rulers, priests and people?
- How does the Cambodian dance tradition relate to the women of Angkor Wat?
- Do the women of Angkor Wat embody information important to us in modern times?
Here are some photos I took of the Apsaras at Angkor in 2010. More can be found on the Angkor Wat page of my Photo Dharma website.